Jan 31, 2017

On Lists.

The Whole List Thing.
I am quite possibly the world's most list-dependant human being on the planet.
And I mean this quite literally. Most of my fellow humans don't understand this obsession at all, and find this particular habit to be one of my worst (second only to my chronic procrastination skills). My lists seem to eventuate out of thin air, for anything and everything. From groceries to inspiring quotes, my little journal has probably copped every check list possible. Heck, I'm pretty sure I still have a 'things to pack' list for our last family holiday to Queensland in May last year on my desk (half un-ticked mind you).
However, there is one thing I believe should never be diminished to a list.
And that list-banned thing is a person; whether this particular human be a potential lover, best pal or a partner in crime - it's dehumanising and plainly, it's wrong.
This post has resulted out of inspiration from a quote from Tumblr that I recently saved, it sums this crime up pretty neatly.


Here it is:
"You make lists in your head about what you want in a lover, like brown hair and a sweet voice. A sharp mind and a soft heart, a sense of humour that actually makes you laugh like you mean it. This and that. And it's all bullshit. Because people aren't lists. And I've always wanted to be the person who made someone realise that. I want to come across someone with a list in their head that is nothing like the person I am, and I want to show them what they didn't even know they were looking for. People who think they know what they want are fooling themselves. 
Nobody really knows what they want.
Not until it's right in front of them."
-Anonymous.

And I feel like this brutally honest Anonymous being is 100% right.
You can't really get more materialistic (or unrealistic, just quietly).
I've always been brought up to appreciate the fact that every person is their own version of themselves. Every humans personality is it's own wild, untameable thing - and this is something that should be celebrated!

Us mere list makers should just stick to notebooks filled with the days worth of errands, and please for the rest of society's sake - try not to consider our fellow people as some sort of dream checklist.

xo,
Renée.

Instagram